Thursday, October 15, 2015

"Fall Culture" and Gallery Saturdays

It's freezing, y'all. It is real, real cold. And it seems like it came out of nowhere. We had about 2 and 1/2 weeks of Fall, and now winter is not just coming...winter is here*.
Il fait froid!!
The high today only reached the forties, and it was gratifying in a schadenfreudian sort of way to see that the rest of Paris was as ill-prepared as I was for the temperature drop. Many people covered their faces up to their eyes with heavy (though impeccably fashionable) scarves to brace against the cold. Hungry would-be lunchers had to jockey for position inside filled restaurants, or huddle underneath tepid heating lamps suspended above once-welcoming terraces for warmth, unable to take their winter garb off while they dined. Some cafés tried to entice customers by laying out blankets for those brave enough to sit outside, though the tactic didn't seem to be working.
Nice try, bucko.

I've done Paris winter before, and I'm sure I'll survive (barely), but I'm a little miffed about my Fall being unceremoniously yanked away from me. I have yet to see a pumpkin and nary an apple cider, though I did see some people in "costumes" walking down Boulevard Saint Germain today (costumes only count if they're full body...some face paint and cat ears aren't gonna cut it, honey). America has the best Fall...and though I have yet to experience a full fall season anywhere else, I'm gonna proclaim it b/c I'm american and that's what we do. Two of the best holidays, a myriad of fattening seasonal treats, the colors of the foliage, the crisp air...Summer is obviously the best, but Fall is a pretty sweet consolation when the golden rays start to fade. That being said, living in France isn't all crêpes and air kisses. Ya gotta take the good with the less-than-ideal. Before the weather got all "eh", I finally did a self-guided gallery tour around my neighborhood and it was awesome.








Laeticia Casta





(Message me if you would like the names of any of the galleries featured above)

I'm a southern gal, and I don't like the cold, so indoor activities are going to be right up my alley. I did a quick walk through of Galerie Vivienne the other day, and it looked pretty neat. I'll have to  do a more thorough visit on a day when I don't feel like doing things outside (such days will probably be plentiful in the coming weeks).










All in all, my feelings about Paris Fall remind me that life is all about making the best of whatever situation you're faced with. My complaints about a lack of a discernable "Fall Culture" in Paris are nothing compared with the incredible opportunity I've been afforded by living in Paris, during the Fall or any other time of the year. And while I may have trouble finding apple cider, there's always chocolate viennoise with  new friends.
Got this from the school CROUS. Lotta chantilly there, but not really complaining :)


*If you don't catch this reference, you and I cannot be friends. (Hint: It's from GoT).

No comments:

Post a Comment