Monday, August 27, 2012

First Post, Part Deux

Hello All,

I'm back! I've been vacillating back and forth for a bit over a month now on whether or not I should start blogging again, and I was finally convinced by an Ira Glass quote I came across on that virtual forum of wisdom, Facebook. The quote goes as follows:


“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work.”

I wouldn't call myself a writer per se or even an aspiring writer, in the professional sense. I do enjoy writing, however, and I love the written word. I've been told that I'm a pretty good writer, and I've just recently gotten to the point that I don't cringe in disgust when I re-read something that I've written. One day I want to be a good writer, I know that much. Not so that I can get a job at WSJ, particularly, but for the knowledge that I can write, and write well.  It's important to me that my writing meets up with the expectations of my internal critic. And so, to that end, I take up the virtual quill again, hoping that the old maxim "practice makes perfect" will play itself out. 

I wondered if it was a good idea to publish using the same travel blog I used during study abroad last year, but the blog's title still holds up for what I expect the subject matter will mostly concern, various goings-on in my life. For example, the first post will be about my experiences identifying and collecting wild persimmons from a tree that grows just beyond the wooden fence in my backyard, and making said persimmons into an edible delight. I also consider myself an amateur photographer, so there will be photos (woo hoo!). 

Nothing is static in life. This is me moving forward.    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment