Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Roman Holiday

The day after the French Open I jetted off to Rome, Italy. OR, should I say, Roma, Italia. This was an interesting trip because I a) flew to and from a foreign country by myself and b) went to a country where neither I nor my traveling companion could speak the language. When I arrived, I realized how little prep I had done for my trip. Basically the only things I had done to get ready consisted of printing a map to my hostel and learning the phrases scusa (excuse me), grazi (thank you), prego (you're welcome) and sono americano ( I am american). I took a bus into Rome from Fiumicino Airport and checked out the Italian contryside from the comfort of my bus window. I liken Italy (from what I saw from the plane ride in and the bus ride into Rome) to what Los Angeles wants to be when it grows up. Beautiful hilltop villas, nice Mediterannean climate. I got lost a bit on my way to the hostel but hey, that's how you REALLY learn a city, right? I was supposed to meet up with Nina  that day at Trevi fountain but ended up getting there too late to find her.

Despite the somewhat rough start, I had an excellent time in Rome. As a kid, I was somewhat obsessed with Greco-Roman history so for me all the ruins-touring was right up my alley. I even busted out my gladiator sandals for the occasion. A lot of my clothes for the trip had either a greek key pattern or could be worn column style or had some sort of ancient empire-y look about them, but I think that's mostly because that's just how I like to dress in general.
The magnificent Trevi Fountain: deceptively large fountain in a deceptively small piazza

The Spanish Steps


Ramp at the Museo Vaticani






How appropo!



On my way up to Palatine hill

Roman Forum!

Pantheon: the coolest of them all


Again, highlighting how unprepared I was for the trip, I rolled up to the Vatican City in a tank dress. Luckily, I was wearing the convertable Amer Apper scarf my sister gave me and I was able to transform it into a tunic that was longer than knee-length and covered my shoulders. The security guard laughed as he helped me adjust it before we went inside. I couldn't move my arms, but I was in!

Hemingway refered to Paris as a "moveable feast" in his memoirs but for me Rome was a moveable feast in the more literal since. Or perhaps,I mean to say that I basically ate until I was almost unable to move. Nina found a neighborhood restaurant that was highly recommended in her guidebook that I was skeptical about until the nightime transformed the humble little restaurant with outdoor sidewalk tables into a scene straight out of a Fellini film. There were plenty of regulars there, smoking and chatting and eating, living la "dolce vita". The fettuccine alfredo with porcini mushrooms was amaaazing.

Sicilian dessert called Cassata



One evening, at my behest, Nina and I got dinner in the Jewish Ghetto to try the famous Carciofi alla Giudia, or artichoke cooked in the jewish style. Unfortunately, it didn't look that good or taste much better. We befriended some Roman gentlemen that we were sitting next to at the restaurant. One of them owned a art studio where he made mosaics, and he invited us up to check them out. This sounds creepy but the awesome thing is that it totally wasn't. Both guys were nice and respectful. I could say the same of the majority of the guys I came in contact with there, which puts Rome head and shoulders above Paris in that regard.

Again, this trip was enhanced by the unplanned things. Wandering aimlessly around Rome is one of the best things in the world. I also had the opportunity to meet some really cool people at the hostel I was staying at, The Yellow. We'd hit up the local pizza joint, where the guys in the kitchen would poke their heads out and try to talk to you. One of the things that really struck me about Rome was how amazing it was that the city co-existed with the ruins. Rome was literally like a living museum. I can't imagine what it would be like to see magnificent structures like the Roman Forum or the Colosseum on a regular basis. I love Rome, hopefully I'll be back soon :)
From the top of St. Peter's

2 comments:

  1. Ma chère, so glad you had such an awesome time in Rome, now I can't wait until my own Roman Holiday! It's not til August, though, so I have to be content with everyone else's accounts for now.. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vivian! You will have a great time. Toi me manque! (think that's right haha)

    ReplyDelete