Monday, January 24, 2011

Hey Hey Ladurée

Anyone who knows me fairly well knows that I love movies. It's not exactly a secret; I can find a way to incorporate the plot of a film into just about any real-life example you can come up with. I keep some of my favorites with me in my apartment at USC...movies like Gladiator, American Beauty, and Bring it On (hey, that's a classic too) and Marie Antoinette. Marie Antoinette, directed by Sophia Coppola, is not a particularly good film, but it is a beautiful film, a feast for the eyes. The palace at Versailles, the beautiful dresses, and the ornate food set the perfect scene for opulence and decadence. There's an awesome "shopping" montage in which Marie Antoinette (played by Kirsten Dunst) and her friends try on shoes and get fitted for dresses while eating some incredible looking deserts. I did some research and found out that the patisserie Ladurée provided the pastries for the movie and that their famous macarons inspired the color pallet for the entire film. Of course I had to go, and today I finally did. It turns out that one of the locations, situated on Rue Bonaparte, is super close to my school in St. Germain-de-Pres. I decided to try out the St. Honoré, a cute little pastry that is dedicated to the patron saint of bakers.

Let's just say it's a good thing I do a lot of walking everyday...
It was pretty darn good. I was hoping they'd have fraise or framboise flavor for a pop of color, but the traditional St. Honoré, which is caramel and vanilla flavored,  was definitely not a disappointment.

I love it when a plan comes together. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment