Saturday, September 10, 2016

Bouchon Bakery TKO Cookie

One of the best dining experiences I've ever had was when my mom took me to Bouchon Bistro in Beverly Hills for my undergraduate graduation dinner. I remember sashaying in with my stole still around my neck, then nomming on some french bistro-style gnocchi with my proud mama. That dinner was during my last few days in Los Angeles. I haven't been back to LA since graduation, but I always think of that dinner fondly as marking the end of an incredible college experience.

Fast forward a few years later: I went to a cooking class at my local Williams-Sonoma a few weeks ago to learn some pizza-making tips. Before the class started, I dug around in the clearance food section comme d'habitude, and I found this boxed mix by Bouchon Bakery! Totally snagged a box for nostalgia purposes, obvi. Also because I wanted to try out the recipe, which made what look like gourmet (read: "bougie") Oreos.



This is called the "TKO" cookie, although I'm not quite sure what the name stands for (Technical Knockout? Thomas Keller Oreo?). They say ignorance is bliss, and man, is that SO TRUE in the context of knowing what's inside your favorite baked goods. These cookies are like 90% butter.



But if you're gonna splurge, these are so totally worth it. The ingredients are super-premium, like Guittard cocoa. Along with the fancy ingredients comes a more complicated recipe, however. For example, I had to melt chocolate chips for the filling. But again, #worthit.



I did a mix of star shapes and mini sakrua (cherry blossom) shapes.





I wasn't able to get the icing quite as beautifully beaded as shown on the package, but I'm still really happy the way my cookies turned out. My mom loved them, and she is a hard-core sandwich cookie connoisseur.










The flavor of the cookies is what makes them really great. The high-end ingredients really do shine and work together to create a simple-yet-complex, exotic-yet-familiar, delicious cookie.

If you'd like to sample these delectable cookies yourself, you can go about it one of three ways:

1. Grab yourself a box of mix like I did from Williams-Sonoma (or other fine retailers...if others carry it? Not sure.)

2. Go get a cookie from a Bouchon Bakery. Click on the link for locations.

3. Try this recipe for TKO cookies which appeared in the Bouchon Bakery cookbook (click link).

And there you have it! The perfect cookie for the kidult in us all. An epicurean way to enjoy an old standby.


No comments:

Post a Comment