Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Le Conseil d'État and the ICC

For those curious as to what I'm up to when I'm not sipping on café crèmes au terrasse or visiting yet another museum, I though it would be good to post a lil somthin' somthin' about some of my more academic/professional-minded pursuits here in Paris.

As I've mentioned before, I am completing a dual-degree program offered by my home law school and Sciences Po. It's been a bit of a departure from the free-wheeling days of my undergrad exchange: I have the full course load instead of the minimal credits required of those only doing a semester. The cons are, as you would expect, more time in class and the increased amount of homework that comes with more classes. The pros are a more "engaged" learning experience and better relationships with my comrades in the masters program.

In addition to classes, I have had the good fortune to visit important legal institutions here in France, such as the Conseil d'État and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) headquarters.


The Conseil meets in the Palais Royal building (I'd always wondered what the "Palais Royal" of the Palais Royal/Musée du Louvre metro stop was...). The Conseil holds weekly seminars in which legal scholars discuss various cutting-edge developments in the law. I went with one of my Sciences Po professors, on an occasion in which two of her former students speaking on the panel (out of 3 panelists, not too shabby!). The topic at hand: extraterritoriality and movement of persons.





Wall mural of agrarian France.

Quite a beautiful building.
Yesterday, I had the great fortune of having a private tour of the ICC headquarters, which are located a stone's throw away from the Eiffel Tower. I am very interested in international arbitration, so it was great to visit the place where the case management happens for ICC arbitration and to meet some of the members of the various regional teams.




Having a bust done by Rodin is pretty baller-status. 
Couldn't agree more. 
The roof had an amaaazing view of the Eiffel Tower, but I didn't bring my camera with me on the visit. This will have to suffice....

Soon, I hope to visit l'Assemblée National (the french national assembly), and I'll be sure to include lots of pics when I do! À bientôt!



No comments:

Post a Comment